Search This Blog

Thursday, March 21, 2013

Volunteer Quilting...

I'm going to have to admit to being somewhat committed to our military, and particularly the Marine Corps. Our son is third generation and the only career Marine on my family's side. He has an Uncle on his Mom's side who served proudly for 30 years. So yes, I have a bias and some prejudicial beliefs as to which branch of military is in fact the standard that all others try to achieve...overall the others are doing pretty well...I would have to say they are all tied for second place...but that's just me. But please, never, ever degrade or bad mouth any branch or member of our Armed Forces in my presence. I said please. And that brings me to why I got so committed to longarming. You thought I was going to rant huh?

Elaine is the coordinator for Quilts of Valor for our local Guild. It was watching her and others cutting, piecing, sewing and quilting these 'Tokens of Appreciation' for our servicemen and women that first caught my interest. This small tribute to those suffering the wounds of battle, the invisible traumas of war and the sacrifices for freedom that they made were being recognized...and if you think for one minute that this small recognition goes unnoticed and is not appreciated by the recipient...oh how wrong you are. The wounds of not being recognized are deep and permanent...honest. 
With my interest peeked and the annual quilt festival on the horizon I had no hesitation when asked if I would like to go when she invited me along last year. And there I met Innova and Panto Vision, well you all know how I feel about computers and power tools, and please...in the same package...the rest is history as they say. I have probably quilted since November in the neighborhood of 40 quilts for Quilts of Valor, and a half dozen or so for Project Linus. QOV info can be found at www.qovf.org and Linus at www.projectlinus.org. There are chapters just about everywhere.  If I could explain how much it means to work on a quilt for either of these organizations I would...I can't.

I titled this Volunteer Quilting...I have heard many call it 'charity quilting.' By definition I guess it fits. I'm just afraid in both of these cases QOV and Linus...I'm working on a gift of hope and appreciation for some of the strongest people that occupy this planet and my charity they don't need, what strength I can share they do. But that's just me. 

So with that said it is Show and Tell...here are just a few of the quilts we have had the pleasure of working on over the last two weeks. And if you get the opportunity to volunteer your talent, sew a stitch or two, cut a strip, make a star or longarm a sandwich...jump all over it...it will not only make a difference to the recipient, but oh how it will make a difference in you. 
QOV Front
QOV Back

Front














Back

Front
Back




Linus Front
 
Linus Back
I don't think I can tell you how much fun this one was (above and right)...Just enjoyed the patterns and color to the point of stupid. Oh just for the record...it was designed and pieced by a Lt. Commander, active, United States Navy. 





This is another Linus...it has Elmo on it and well, like my granddaughter says..."You can't have too many Elmo's." And she is never wrong. 



Well it is Thankful Thursday and normally golf day...but not with flurries in the forecast and below 40 degree temps. I guess I'll just have to stay home and enjoy the company of other guild members...We QOV Sew In every Thursday at our house...well Elaine does, I normally golf on Thursdays...don't you just hate it when all you can do when you can't golf or ride the motorcycle is longarm...It's tough, but someone has to do it. 

Quilt till you wilt...


No comments:

Post a Comment