Search This Blog

Saturday, November 23, 2013

Betsy Ross...A Quilter???

I have been accused of being 'a half bubble off.' And it has been said it shows up frequently when I transfer to paper (screen) the stuff that passes through my head. Well being only half off explains why I don't write for a living. Think about it...no one is going to accuse Stephen King of being a half off. He is a full bubble off if not more. But yesterday while ironing a back to load another Quilt of Valor to be longarmed the bubble shifted off center...again. So here we are in the late 1700's and George gives Betsy a call. Well how else is this going to work.

One ringy dingy, two ringy dingy.
"This is Betsy."
"Betsy, George here."
"George it's good to hear your voice. I heard you had a pretty bad winter."
"Well you could say that. You know what they say about New Jersey, nice place to visit but I wouldn't want to live there. As a matter of fact the whole winter was a tad chilly now that I think about it. Betsy let me get right to the point. I'm gonna need a flag."
"My goodness George what for? I thought that snake thing was working out well."
"Betsy I need to be honest here...that was Ben's idea and lately some of his ideas are causing people to wonder." First it was the kite thing and some of his theory's I mean come now. Now he's forced me to make him the Ambassador to France...something about a new girlfriend. Anyway the snake has to go."
"Well did you have anything in mind?"
"Not really. You know I'm not real creative with this sort of thing. We need to keep in mind of the 13 Colonies...but other than that I would kind of like to see what you can come up with. You know Martha says you have the best ideas."
"Martha is so kind."
"Well she says you quilters all must stick together."
"She has a point."
"So Betsy what do you think?"
"Well I don't know, but I have some ideas but I'm going to need to talk with some of the girls. Is Martha there."
"Yes I'll get her for you."
"This is Martha, how are you Betsy."
"Martha doing great...I do miss John, but I've met someone new and he seems to be a very nice man. He's a mariner so gone a lot."
"George says he has ask you to make a flag. I ask him why the snake thing wasn't working. He just grunted something about Ben."
"Yea he did the same with me. Ben gets a lot of criticism. Have to say he does come up with some silly ideas. I've heard he is working on something called a catheter for his brother John."
"Who knows what next. Betsy how can I help and what for sake are you thinking?"
"Martha, he didn't say but I know he is in a hurry. So I do have an idea. I just started a red and white jelly roll but I'm out of red and white material. As it turns out I have enough to make 13 stripes, well almost anyway some of the rows will come up short if I don't get my hands on some more material. I thought you might have some. I know the girls in the Bee are out I've already ask."
"Betsy I don't. But I do have a pretty good size of blue and you are more than welcome to it."
"Well I don't know, but can you send it over and I'll see what I can do. Oh, remember those little stars you made on that quilt you made for that astronomer from France, what was his name?"
"Charles Messier."
"Yea, that's him. Well can you send with the fabric your stitching pattern for the stars. I know it is six pointed, but if you don't mind I would like to change it a little and make a five pointed star."
"Oh not at all, wish I would have thought of it, sure will be simpler to make."
"Martha thank you so much. Tell George I'll have something for him in a couple of weeks. Joesph is at sea and I have quite a bit of time on my hands."
"Betsy it has been good talking with you. Thanks again for all you do. Some day this will all be history and I'm sure you will be remembered. Talk with you later...bye."
"Good-bye Martha and please say hi to Jacky, Nelly and the children for me. See you soon I hope."
"Thanks Betsy, I will and thanks for handling this flag thing I told George I just wasn't up to it. Bye."
"Bye."

and so Betsy Ross was a quilter with a UFO Jelly Roll...prove me wrong.



No comments:

Post a Comment